Tuesday, January 27, 2009

McGrane rues Tiger absence

Irishman retains fond memories of partnering world number one

Damien McGrane has acknowledged he will miss the opportunity to lock horns with Tiger Woods again at this week's Dubai Desert Classic.
European Tour stats package
The Irishman played two rounds with the world number one in last year's tournament, outscoring his illustrious partner during the third round.
They played again on the final day, but while Woods went on to claim the title for the second time with a dramatic late charge, McGrane ended up down in 44th after a disastrous final round of 79.
Woods will not be present in Dubai as he continues his rehabilitation from reconstructive knee surgery, but McGrane - now at 130 in the world and with a European Tour title to his name - will be and intends to build on his fourth-place finish at the Qatar Masters last week.
The result in Doha was McGrane's best since he clinched his maiden victory at last year's Volvo China Open.
"I am hitting enough good shots and I am holing my share of putts, although I miss a few as well, but you can't get them all. The main thing is my frame of mind is good which helps," said the 37-year-old.
"The experience of last year will definitely help me this year, but it is a pity the man himself is not going to be back.
"I have played a lot of good golf so hopefully there are plenty of good things to come of it this year," he added.
"I have good memories of last year, I remember it fondly and it was a positive experience for me and I used it in a positive way and used it to my advantage afterwards.
"Obviously it was nice and I was glad I had that time with him. It's a great memory to have and the sooner he gets back here the better."

No comments:

Post a Comment