Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tiger Woods Gives Simple Swing Advice

Tiger Woods, who most would agree was a pretty fair junior player, was asked recently at a clinic I attended how to teach a young beginning golfer some basics, like how hard to swing.

“Obviously, you can’t tell an 8-year-old to swing at 85 percent of normal,” Woods said.
“An 8-year-old doesn’t know how to gauge something like that in the middle of a swing, or how to interpret what 85 percent of some movement is. So when I was young, my father told me that I could swing as hard as I wanted, just so long as I was in complete balance when I had finished my swing.
“At the end of a shot, I couldn’t be swaying side to side, falling back or lurching forward. I had to be in balance. I still think it’s a great tip: swing as hard as you like so long as you can be in balance. It puts you in charge of managing the speed and pace of your swing.”
That advice still works for junior players. It would work, most likely, for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment